Date(s) - 25/09/2022
09:00 - 17:00
Seven Sisters Canoe Centre
- Family & Friends Welcome:
- Lead Coach:
- Howard Jeffs
- Event Organiser:
- Kate Waite
- Contact for Event:
- Skill Level:
- Age Limit:
- Type of water:
- More information:
The British Canoeing Awarding Body Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning Training is designed for those paddlers carrying out coastal journeys including islands up to 2 nautical miles offshore in areas of tidal movement up to 2 knots and is a prerequisite for those seeking their British Canoeing Sea Kayak Leader Award. However, anyone wishing to undertake journeys on the sea would find the technical and theoretical aspects not only useful, but essential for safe travel in the marine environment!
The course will cover many subjects; here is an outline of what you will explore during your course:
- You will develop an understanding of interpreting maps, charts and pilots;
- You will explore and practice different ways to access tidal information;
- The tutors will support you in the use of a compass;
- You will develop techniques to locate your position on the sea;
- Our tutors will share with you top tips to planning coastal trips;
- You will know how to obtain and understand weather forecasts;
- You will investigate the role of the Coastguard and how to contact them.
The Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning course is delivered in eight hours of teaching time, over one day of several modules. Whilst this is a theory-based course the intention is that it is highly practical and you’ll participate in a variety of practical planning exercises. For more details on the course criteria, visit https://www.britishcanoeingawarding.org.uk/tidal-planning-navigation/
Note there may be an additional fee for the BC certification TBC but normally £10-20; I will confirm this.
The course will be delivered by the highly experienced Howard Jeffs and delivered at the Barn. Please speak to Kate Waite if you need further information.
**DATE CHANGED please note this course is the 25th September 2022 now&&
Bookings are closed for this event.